Tapping into internal idea pipelines – managing new ideas from concept to implementation.
Unitywater is a water and sewerage utility in South-East Queensland which has developed a strong business based on excellence in customer and staff engagement and service delivery. One of Unitywater’s core values is ‘Innovation’ and the organisation is constantly looking for ways to do things better and be more efficient. The organisation was keen to establish a more structured approach to its innovation processes and move away from the more “serendipitous” and ad hoc method that had been used historically. It wanted to develop a more robust and reliable process to manage new ideas from concept through to implementation, which employees from all areas of the business could access.
- Impact Innovation Group (IIG) helped Unitywater to develop an innovation plan that aligned with its corporate strategic goals. The plan included outlining roles and responsibilities of the innovation team, establishing innovation pipeline structure and pathways, evaluation tools, a communications plan and training of innovation champions.
- Unitywater secured a licence to the Brightidea platform to help manage their innovation pipeline in accordance with the innovation plan.
- IIG then helped to plan and launch the new innovation program through a Hackathon-style event that generated new ideas in relation to four key themes of corporate priority.
- The Innovation Plan was presented to and approved by the Executive Leadership Team (ELT).
- The Hackathon event involved more than 60 employees, plus the innovation team. The ELT was also represented on the day and formed the judging panel for the top ideas presented.
- More than 150 ideas were generated on the day in response to the four themes.
- The top idea of the day (as judged by the panel) was immediately awarded a preliminary budget to establish a team, kick off the project, and move to a more defined business case.
- Unitywater imported the ideas from the event into Brightidea, and has established a schedule for future ideation activities and challenge rounds.
Large and multinational companies we have worked with:
Dr Dean Moss CEO
UniQuest Pty Limited
Ryan Clerihew NuChem Pty Ltd
Gary Heyden Former Director of Deakin Research Commercial
Clint Ramsay Director of NeoRehab Pty Ltd
Peter Riikonen Director of BioHerbicides Australia Pty Ltd
Ross Patane Managing Partner, Crowe Horwath Australia